Saturday 1 October 2016

ESSAY - MY LAST DAY AT COLLEGE

6. MY LAST DAY AT COLLEGE
   
Memory is the treasury and guardian of all things.
(Marcus Tullius Cicero)

    Memories are more indelible than ink. Days pass however the memories and associations they leave refuse to die. My last day at college is one of those bygone days whose memory is still fresh and clear in my mind. It was one of the golden days of my life. It was a day of sadness as well as preparedness.
     I had spent two years in my college. I had learnt many lessons. I had made many friends. I had developed great respect for my teachers. I had participated in many co-curricular activities. I had won many prizes. I had evolved great intimacy with the college building.  In fact, I had enjoyed my stay at college.
     A sunny day of March was my last day at college. The holidays preparatory to the final examination were going to commence from the next day. All the students were in their best clothes. Our juniors of first year class had hosted a farewell party for us in the college hall. We were entertained with speeches, songs, jokes, burgers and cold drinks.
     However, the best part of the farewell party was our principal's speech. He gave us many pieces of advice. He advised us to be honest, truthful and upright in our dealings. I will never forget his words, "Hard work and perseverance is a key to success." In the end, he wished us all a successful life and a bright future.
    All the students stood up from their seats. They shook hands with their worthy teachers. Some of the students obtained the teachers' autographs in their diaries. The teachers handed us our character certificates. All the students embraced each other for the last time. It was a very sentimental, emotional and pathetic scene.
     Finally we came out of the hall and gathered in the garden. We took some group photographs. I looked at the college thoughtfully. The college building, the playground, the trees in the college courtyard, the class rooms and even the college library seemed to whisper to me how they would miss me. Even the last day at college had ended.
Farewell, my friends! farewell, my foes!
My peace with these, my love with those:
(Robert Burns)

No comments:

Post a Comment