Thursday 25 April 2013

ESSAYS FOR SECOND YEAR ENGLISH - MY FAVOURITE BOOK

7. My Favourite Book
     Reading is the exercise of mind mostly done with books. A book is a volume of many sheets of paper bounded together, containing text, illustrations, photographs, or other kind of information. I have read many books but the Holy Quran is the most important and sacred book to me. Thus it is my favourite book. 
     The Holy Quran is basically a religious book of Muslims. It was revealed to the last prophet of Allah, Hazrat Muhammad (SAW). The arch-angel Gabriel brought this scripture in the 7th century A.D. in installments. It is in Arabic. It has 30 sections, 114 chapters and 6,666 verses. It is the only infallible book of the world.
     The Holy Quran holds a pride of place. Before touching it, ablution is compulsory. Care is taken that it does not come into contact with any unclean substance and it is never to be laid upon the ground. The most eloquent testimony of the place accorded to the Holy Quran is that many Muslims learn it by heart. They are called 'hafiz'.
     Recitation of the Holy Quran is the core of religious devotion. It is recited on many different occasions. It is recited in prayers. Ventures and public meetings are started with its recitation. The art of recitation is called 'tajwid' or 'tartil'. Participation in recitation, whether as a reciter or listener, is itself an act of worship. 
     I get up early in the morning. After offering the morning prayer, I recite a few verses from the Holy Quran and study the Urdu paraphrase of these verses. These inform me about the tenets of Islam. These tell me how to please Allah. These warm me against malignancy. Thus these verses teach me the spiritual, social and legal codes of conduct. 
     In short, the Holy Quran has more qualities than pens can write or words can describe. It is an encyclopedia of knowledge, wisdom and morality. So we should study it with paraphrase and act upon the golden tidings given in it. It can make us true Muslims and ideal persons for society. Thus I love it very much. 

3 comments: